Proposed purchase of Roy Palmer Business Park raises questions

first_imgDecember 10, 2018 Photo by Toni Gibbons Debi Bettis, who served on the Taylor Town Council from 2001 to 2005, read a letter from concerned citizens to the Taylor Town Council on Dec. 6 regarding the purchase ofSubscribe or log in to read the rest of this content. Bottom Ad Proposed purchase of Roy Palmer Business Park raises questionslast_img

24th Democratic hopeful Joe Sestak joins race for President

first_imgHis announcement came later than those of the other Democratic candidates. He said the delay was because he had wanted to spend time with his daughter, who had been battling brain cancer but had since beaten it.Sestak, 67, a native of Pennsylvania, was elected to Congress in 2006, defeating a 10-term incumbent. He served in the military from 1974-2005, finishing as a three-star Navy admiral.He commanded an aircraft carrier battle group that conducted combat operations in Afghanistan and Iraq; served as President Bill Clinton’s director for defense policy on the National Security Council in the White House; and served as the deputy chief of naval operations for warfare requirements.Sestak, who had a reputation as a hard-charging and demanding taskmaster, positioned himself in his announcement as a supporter of working-class Americans. He said that during his time in Congress, his office had fought to overturn denials of treatment by health insurance companies and to save more than 800 homes from foreclosure, as well as to help veterans. Top News Virat Kohli won’t have a say in choosing new coach After Masood Azhar blacklisting, more isolation for Pakistan Advertising Joe Sestak, a former Navy admiral and congressman from Pennsylvania, said he was joining the crowded field of Democratic candidates running for president in 2020.With an announcement on his website on Saturday, Sestak became the 24th Democratic candidate running for president.“I wore the cloth of the nation for over 31 years in peace and war, from the Vietnam and Cold War eras, to Afghanistan and Iraq, and the emergence of China,” Sestak said. By New York Times | Updated: June 24, 2019 8:51:58 am Karnataka trust vote today: Speaker’s call on resignations, says SC, but gives rebel MLAs a shield Virat Kohli won’t have a say in choosing new coach center_img Best Of Express In describing his platform, he said, “Our country desperately needs a president with a depth of global experience and an understanding of all the elements of our nation’s power, from our economy and our diplomacy to the power of our ideals and our military, including its limitations.”Referring to President Donald Trump, Sestak said: “The president is not the problem. He is the symptom of the problem people see in a system that is not fair and accountable to the people.”Sestak is no stranger to long-shot political bids.He mounted an improbable victory in the 2010 Democratic primary to gain the party’s nomination to run for a U.S. Senate seat in Pennsylvania.That quixotic yearlong quest to win the Democratic Senate nomination pitted Sestak against an array of Democratic power brokers, from the White House to the governor to organized labor to the party apparatus to Democratic donors.Sestak defeated Sen. Arlen Specter, who had served in the Senate for nearly three decades as a Republican but who, in a political bombshell, announced he was switching to the Democratic Party because he could not win reelection in a Republican primary. Sestak lost in the general election to Republican Patrick J. Toomey, a former congressman. Karnataka trust vote today: Speaker’s call on resignations, says SC, but gives rebel MLAs a shield 24th Democratic hopeful Joe Sestak joins race for President Joe Sestak, a former Navy admiral and congressman from Pennsylvania, said he was joining the crowded field of Democratic candidates running for president in 2020. (Jessica Kourkounis/The New York Times)Written by Sandra E. Garcia Advertising After Masood Azhar blacklisting, more isolation for Pakistan Post Comment(s)last_img read more

San Francisco becomes first US city to ban ecigarette sales

first_imgAfter Tuesday’s vote, Juul spokesman Ted Kwong said the ban “will drive former adult smokers who successfully switched to vapor products back to deadly cigarettes, deny the opportunity to switch for current adult smokers, and create a thriving black market instead of addressing the actual causes of underage access and use.” He said the company has already taken steps to prevent underage use and has proposals of its own to prevent sales to minors in the city. Juul, in which Marlboro maker Altria Group has a 35% stake, has pulled popular flavors such as mango and cucumber from retail store shelves and shut down its social media channels on Instagram and Facebook.FDA spokesman Michael Felberbaum declined to comment on the San Francisco ban, but said the agency is “committed to continuing to tackle the troubling epidemic of e-cigarette use among kids,” including limiting access to flavored e-cigarettes and cracking down on companies and retailers who sell to minors. E-cigarettes are generally thought to be safer than traditional cigarettes, which kill up to half of all lifetime users, according to the World Health Organization, but the long-term health effects of the nicotine devices remain largely unknown. Bruce Colbert, who was at a tobacco retailer called the Smoke Shop in San Francisco, said the ordinance will harm people like him who are trying to stop smoking cigarettes.“You can get high. You can get drunk, too. But you can’t vape to cut back on your cigarettes,” he said. “Either I go back to smoking cigarettes full time, or go across the Bay and go somewhere else. No big deal.”San Francisco city officials last year approved a ban on flavored tobacco and e-cigarette liquids, a move upheld by voters. Virat Kohli won’t have a say in choosing new coach More Explained Federal data last year showed a 78% increase in e-cigarette use among US high schoolers, and state and local lawmakers have been grappling with how to regulate Juul and other similar products.San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera, who spearheaded the ordinance earlier this year, praised the move and said it was necessary because of what he called an “abdication of responsibility” by the FDA in regulating e-cigarettes. E-cigarettes have existed in a regulatory grey area for years. Its makers originally faced a 2018 deadline to submit applications to the FDA to sell products, but the deadline was pushed back to 2022. Amid the surge in teenage use, the FDA in March moved up that deadline to 2021. A separate court case from anti-tobacco groups may force the FDA to set an earlier deadline.“This lack of clarity is causing tremendous confusion at the same time that a whole new generation of young people are getting addicted to nicotine,” Herrera told Reuters. “The explosion in youth use and the health risks to young people are undeniable.”San Francisco Supervisor Shamann Walton, who sponsored the ordinance, said he has been constantly hearing from young people about e-cigarettes and “how readily available they are in schools, the fact that they’re easily hidden from educators.” Explained: The push for, and the pushback against, facial recognition technology Karnataka trust vote today: Speaker’s call on resignations, says SC, but gives rebel MLAs a shield Best Of Express Advertising Four injured after gunman opens fire in San Francisco-area shopping mall Post Comment(s) San Francisco becomes first US city to bans e-cigarette sales Federal data last year showed a 78% increase in e-cigarette use among US high schoolers. (Photo: Thinkstock Photos)San Francisco will become the first major city in the United States to ban the sale of e-cigarettes as officials look to control the rapid uptick in teenage use of nicotine devices made by companies such as Juul Labs Inc. The San Francisco Board of Supervisors approved the ordinance on Tuesday, banning the sale and distribution of e-cigarettes until they have approval from the US Food and Drug Administration. Advertising Man behind San Francisco’s facial recognition ban is working on more — way more After Masood Azhar blacklisting, more isolation for Pakistan Taking stock of monsoon rain By Reuters | Updated: June 26, 2019 2:03:43 pm Advertising Related News States and cities across the United States have already moved to ban flavored e-cigarettes and raise the legal age for purchasing tobacco products to 21, but San Francisco’s new approach is the most far-reaching yet.No other major cities have proposed a similar hardline ban, though San Francisco’s move could lead others to consider it.The city council in Beverly Hills, California, this month approved a ban on the sale of tobacco products beginning 2021, though it carved out exceptions for some cigar lounges and hotels. Juul, which is based in San Francisco and has grown to be the dominant e-cigarette maker in the United States, has been at the center of the debate. As its sales soared over the last two years, so did its popularity among teenagers. City officials also passed a separate ordinance prohibiting the manufacture and distribution of all tobacco products on city property. Juul last month filed paperwork in San Francisco for another ballot measure that experts say would make the flavor ban and Tuesday’s e-cigarette ban unenforceable. Juul spokesman Kwong disagreed that the ballot initiative would affect the flavor ban, but said it would supersede the e-cigarette ordinance approved on Tuesday. The ballot measure, if approved, would put in place regulations favored by Juul, which it says would “ensure that underage access and use is addressed comprehensively but adults aren’t driven back to cigarettes.”The e-cigarette ban will go into effect early next year, according to the city attorney’s office, and will apply to both online and brick-and-mortar sales in San Francisco.last_img read more

AstraZeneca to present Phase III CVOT DECLARETIMI 58 results at AHA Scientific

first_imgData will also be presented on potential risk factors for repeated or persistent hyperkalemia (Poster # SuMDP65). Source:https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2018/the-landmark-declare-timi-58-cardiovascular-outcomes-trial-of-farxiga-in-patients-with-type-2-diabetes-to-be-featured-at-aha-01112018.html Whether clinical characteristics predicting bleeding and ischemic risk identify subgroups of patients who may derive benefit from long-term treatment with BRILINTA, with a lower risk of major bleeding (Poster #Sa2100) The effects of long-term use of BRILINTA in patients who have had a heart attack and who did not receive a coronary stent vs. those who did receive a coronary stent placement (Oral Presentation #102) The use of high-sensitivity cardiac troponin to identify patients who are at a higher-risk of major CV events (Oral Presentation #100)center_img Reviewed by Alina Shrourou, B.Sc. (Editor)Nov 1 2018AstraZeneca will present 20 abstracts including a late-breaking oral presentation on the full results from the Phase III cardiovascular (CV) outcomes trial (CVOT) DECLARE (Dapagliflozin Effect on Cardiovascular Events)-TIMI 58, the broadest SGLT2 inhibitor CVOT conducted to date, as well as new research from the Company’s Cardiovascular, Renal & Metabolism (CVMD) therapy area at the American Heart Association (AHA) Scientific Sessions, November 10-12, 2018, in Chicago, Illinois, USA.New evidence will build on broad clinical research from AstraZeneca that aims to help redefine the management of CVMD diseases and address the need for a more proactive and holistic approach to patient care. Presentations will include findings from some of the largest trials in broad patient populations with FARXIGA (dapagliflozin) in type 2 diabetes (T2D), BRILINTA (ticagrelor) in patients with a history of heart attack, and in hyperkalemia.Danilo Verge, Vice President, Cardiovascular, Renal & Metabolism, Global Medical Affairs, said: “An estimated 20 million people each year die from cardiovascular, renal and metabolic diseases, yet shared risk factors are frequently not diagnosed or addressed holistically. Our data at AHA reflect an integrated approach to managing the needs of patients living with type 2 diabetes and risk of cardiovascular or renal disease, and those with a history of cardiovascular disease at acute and long-term risk of recurrence. We stand firmly behind our mission to provide new solutions earlier in disease management to these patients at risk for multiple complications.”DECLARE-TIMI 58: a landmark CVOT evaluating CV risk in patients with T2DClinical trial results showing the safety and efficacy of FARXIGA vs. placebo on primary CV and secondary renal efficacy outcomes in adults with T2D who have multiple CV risk factors or established CV disease, will be presented in a late-breaking oral presentation (Late Breaking Abstract #19485). DECLARE-TIMI 58 evaluated the CV outcomes of FARXIGA vs. placebo over a period of up to five years, across 33 countries and in more than 17,000 adults with T2D with multiple CV risk factors or established CV disease.Related StoriesMetformin use linked to lower risk of dementia in African Americans with type 2 diabetesNew biomaterial could encapsulate and protect implanted insulin-producing cellsObese patients with Type 1 diabetes could safely receive robotic pancreas transplantIn September 2018, AstraZeneca announced that FARXIGA met its primary safety endpoint of non-inferiority for major adverse cardiovascular events (MACE) and achieved a statistically-significant reduction in the composite endpoint of hospitalization for heart failure (hHF) or CV death, one of the two primary efficacy endpoints. Additionally, fewer MACE events were observed with FARXIGA for the other primary efficacy endpoint, however, this did not reach statistical significance. Clinical trial results presented at AHA Scientific Sessions 2018 will include additional details on the primary CV safety and efficacy, as well as secondary renal efficacy outcomes from DECLARE-TIMI 58. FARXIGA is not indicated to reduce the risk of CV events, hHF or renal outcomes.Three new sub-analyses from the PEGASUS-TIMI 54 trial will also be presented. The trial compared BRILINTA (90mg or 60mg twice daily) plus aspirin vs. aspirin alone in 21,162 patients with prior (1 to 3 years) heart attack. The sub-analyses evaluate:last_img read more