Why You Love Online Quizzes How to Write a Welcome Email to New Employees? Greplin, the company behind the universal search tool we covered last year, has open-sourced several tools for Tornado and Twisted, such as Tornado clients for sending e-mail with Amazon SES and SendGrid.Tornado is the non-blocking Web server built with Python by FriendFeed, and Twited is a Python-based event-driven networking engine.The tools are:greplin-twisted-utils: Utility library with functions for Deferred objects, DNS caching, and more.greplin-tornado-kissmetrics: Asynchronous client for KISSmetrics.greplin-tornado-mixpanel: Asynchronous client for Mixpanel.greplin-tornado-ses: Asynchronous client for Amazon’s Simple Email Service.greplin-tornado-sendgrid: Asynchronous client for SendGrid.greplin-tornado-stripe: Asynchronous client for Stripe.Event-driven programming tools are right now. Apart from Tornado, Twister and, of course, Node.js there are also EventMachine for Ruby and Perl Object Environment. See also Mongrel2, a Web server with support for event based IO. klint finley Tags:#hack#Tools Growing Phone Scams: 5 Tips To Avoid Related Posts 7 Types of Video that will Make a Massive Impac…
Kolkata: Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, while convening a district review meeting in Namkhana, expressed her dissatisfaction over non-completion of the power Grid project at Bhangar in South 24-Parganas.Banerjee sought explanations from the Power department officials on why the project has not been completed yet. She also pulled up Sunil Gupta, additional chief secretary of the Power department and demanded an explanation from him regarding the delay. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal life”Why has there been a delay when the state government has resolved the issues related to the construction of the power grid?” questioned an irate Chief Minister at the meeting. The Power department officials in the district told the Chief Minister that the project has been delayed due to some technical problems, which will be resolved soon. Meanwhile, the local residents on Thursday morning staged a protest demonstration at the project site, stalling the construction of a tower within the compound. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedSome local residents gathered outside the power grid site, raising their voice to fulfill certain demands. Some of them alleged on Thursday that other development projects which were promised by the government earlier have been stalled as well and hence they would not allow the power project to continue. A high-level meeting would be conducted in the area in this regard. Senior police officers in the district rushed to the spot following the agitation. Some of the villagers, who are members of the Jami Jibika Bastutantra O Paribesh Rakshya Committee (JJBPRC), alleged that the local administration had assured them that dredging of river would take place and a hospital would be set up, but nothing has happened. After a logjam in the power grid project in Bhangar for some time, the matter was finally resolved following intervention of the Power department and administrative officials in the district. JJBPRC members claimed that the government had agreed to meet certain demands of them, including the introduction of vocational training for the unemployed youths in the area and also setting up a cold storage for fishermen and farmers. They alleged that their demands were not properly met. The villagers also alleged that some miscreants have been threatening to resort to violence once the project gets completed. They threatened to stall the project if their demands are not met. A member of the JJBPRC said that they have allowed doing some work inside the sub-station and final decision would be taken on Friday. After a long process of dialogue and deliberations, the government was finally able to resolve the issue and the project was finally flagged off in August this year. The state government has agreed to increase the amount of compensation to people who will lose their land due to the project.
This story originally appeared on PCMag Free Webinar | Sept 5: Tips and Tools for Making Progress Toward Important Goals Attend this free webinar and learn how you can maximize efficiency while getting the most critical things done right. Register Now » Apple’s smallest iPad Pro is getting bigger.Speaking at WWDC on Monday, Apple CEO Tim Cook called the new 10.5-inch version the “perfect size” for the company’s flagship tablet. It replaces the 9.7-inch version, although Apple is keeping the 12.9-inch model, which it also refreshed at WWDC. Despite the larger screen, the 10.5-inch iPad Pro didn’t get any heavier than its predecessor — it still weighs about one pound. Inside, it’s powered by an A10X Fusion chip and includes the same cameras as the iPhone 7, which means a 12-megapixel main camera with optical image stabilization, along with a 7-megapixel front shooter. And since one of the iPad Pro’s chief advantages over the regular iPad is compatibility with the Apple Pencil, there’s also a redesigned Retina display that achieves smoother scrolling and drawing with the pencil thanks to 20-millisecond latency.If you’re editing video footage with your iPad Pro, the expanded screen real estate, better Pencil reaction times and A10X chip will likely make for a smoother experience. And if you’re editing video outside or in other challenging light conditions, you’ll appreciate that the display can automatically adjust its white balance to compensate. While that feature is also available in the previous generation, it’s another reason to chose the iPad Pro over the iPad.The main reason not to spring for the iPad Pro is, of course, its astronomical price, and that’s no less true with Monday’s update. If you’re a current 9.7-inch iPad Pro owner, you’ll need to replace your keyboard if you upgrade to the 10.5-inch model. Apple is offering a new $159 full-size Smart Keyboard that also doubles as a cover to fit the 10.5-inch iPad Pro.Add the keyboard and pencil ($99) to the $649 asking price for the 64GB Wi-Fi-only 10.5-inch iPad Pro, and you start to enter ultrabook territory, which means that even with a larger size, the base-model iPad Pro will have limited appeal among cost-conscious professionals. The refreshed 12.9-inch model, which gets the same internal improvements as its little cousin, starts at $799 for a 64GB Wi-Fi-only version. Both models can be ordered starting Monday with a cellular antenna for an additional $130. iOS 11 will bring additional capabilities to the iPad Pro when it rolls out this fall, including new multi-tasking features like drag and drop and an easier-to-use app picker menu.
<< Previous PostNext Post >> Tags: Europe, Storm, Weather, Winter Tuesday, January 8, 2019 BERLIN — Hundreds of people were snowed-in in Alpine regions and warned of a high risk of avalanches, parts of Scandinavia were left without electricity, and high winds caused flight delays and cancellations in the Netherlands as deadly winter weather continued to blast Europe on Tuesday.Several people have already been killed in weather-related incidents over the last week, and in Norway attempts to find the bodies of four skiers were again put on hold due to poor visibility and heavy snowfall. A 29-year Swedish woman and three Finns, aged 29, 32 and 36, were presumed dead after a 300-meter-wide (990-foot-wide) avalanche hit the Tamok valley, near the northern city of Tromsoe, last week.In Austria, hundreds of residents were stuck in their homes due to blocked roads, and some regions experienced power outages after snow-laden trees took down power lines.Schools in some Austrian regions remained closed for a second day and homeowners were advised to remove snow from their roofs after several buildings collapsed. A 78-year-old man was severely injured when he fell of the roof of his home in Turrach while shovelling snow, Austrian public broadcaster ORF reported.On Monday night, 11 German hikers had to be rescued by mountaineers from a cabin near Salzburg, after having been snowed in without electricity and little food since Friday. Several people were killed by avalanches in recent days and authorities warned continuing snowfall is increasing the already high risk of more avalanches.More news: Apply now for AQSC’s agent cruise ratesIn southern and eastern Germany, people were also bracing for further snowfall, while in the northern coastal city of Hamburg residents were preparing for a storm flood caused by a winter gale, the German news agency dpa reported.In neighbouring Netherlands, Amsterdam’s busy Schiphol Airport warned of delays and cancellations. Dutch carrier KLM cancelled 159 flights to and from European destinations.In northwestern Dutch coastal regions expected to be hardest hit by strong winds and wild seas, local water authorities began checking dikes to make sure they were not damaged.The Noorderzijlvest water authority said it was monitoring dikes because of debris floating in the sea after nearly 300 containers tumbled off a cargo ship in a storm last week. Many of the containers are still at sea and some have broken open, spilling their contents.“A fridge or container that is rammed against a dike can cause damage,” the authority said on its website.Heavy snowfall and strong winds were reported Tuesday over central Scandinavia, hampering efforts to restore electricity after a hefty storm swept through northern Europe on Jan. 2.More news: Can you guess the top Instagrammed wedding locations in the world?Swedish media reported several fender-benders and stranded vehicles along roads but nothing unusual for the season in this part of Europe.Meanwhile in southeastern Europe, schools in the Greek capital and many surrounding areas remained shut due to weather conditions after snowfall blanketed Athens, with temperatures in some parts of the country plunging well below freezing.Courts in Athens were also to remain shut Tuesday, with only fast-track prosecutions being heard, the Justice Ministry said. Some rural roads, particularly those leading up to the mountains near the capital, were shut overnight and in the early morning.Greece has been experiencing a cold snap for the past few days, with heavy snowfall, particularly in the north of the country and in mountainous areas. Temperatures have reached minus 20 degrees Celsius (minus 5 degrees Fahrenheit) in parts of northern Greece, while many islands have also experienced snowfall. Share By: The Associated Press Winter storm blasts Europe, with avalanches, high winds
Ryan AfsharVideo advertising platform Videology has appointed former Time and Telefonica Digital executive Ryan Afshar as its new vice-president and media director.Afshar will be tasked with leading business development in Europe and driving continued growth and use of Videology’s technology in the region.Reporting to John Tigg, Videology’s senior vice-president of strategic partnerships in EMEA, Afshar will be based in London at Videology’s EMEA headquarters.“Videology develops industry-leading solutions to empower the continued convergence of TV and video, and I’m very grateful to be given the opportunity to contribute to a company that is helping to address this seismic change in the ad industry,” said Afshar.He previously worked to develop digital businesses in a number of roles with the likes of Time and Telefonica Digital. More recently, he worked as director and co-founder of Affable Digital, working with start-ups and tech companies to help them develop monetisation and revenue strategies.
Arnaud de PuyfontaineCanal+ needs and deserves a level playing field to compete with the likes of Altice as well as Netflix and other international players, including the right to retain exclusive rights, according to Vivendi CEO Arnaud de Puyfontaine.Speaking to analysts after Vivendi turned in solid first-half results, boosted by a strong performance from Universal Music as well as signs of a slowdown in the decline of Canal+, De Puyfontaine said that Canal+ had to compete with “a local telco that wants to control both telecommunications and content and is launching a move channel from Luxembourg”, and that it was necessary that “everybody gets to benefit from the same rules” regarding the right to strike exclusive content deals.France’s competition watchdog relaxed a number of restrictions on Canal+ in June, allowing it to strike exclusive premium channel deals with the likes of BeIN Sports and to retain exclusivity of series that it pre-finances. However, Canal+ remains obliged to make any service with which it has an exclusive deal available to a third-party provider that wants to include it in its offering.De Puyfontaine said that in an industry that is increasingly “highly disrupted”, there was an “urgent need” for a revision of the rules. However, he said Vivendi had hoped for “a greater release of constraints” than the Autorité de la Concurrence had granted.The “local telco” De Puyfontaine was referring to was Altice and its recent launch of movies and series channel, Altice Studio, which has been available on SFR’s platform since August 22.Following the launch of Altice Studio, Altice CEO Michel Combes told Le Monde newspaper that he was opposed to striking an investment agreement with the French cinema industry on the same lines as Canal+’s commitment. However, Altice Media chief Alain Weill separately said that he was not opposed to striking a deal provided that France’s strick cinema windowing rules were relaxed.Vivendi’s second quarter and first half results were strongly boosted by the performance of Universal Music, which grew its revenues for the first six months of the year by 14% in constant currency terms.Canal+’s revenues declined by 2.4% during the first half, an improvement compared with the 5.5% drop in the first half of 2016. The pay TV operator’s performance was more marked in the second quarter, with a drop of 1.3% compared with a drop of 3.5% in the first quarter.Canal+’s revenues for the first half amounted to €2.568 billion. The pay TV outfit’s individual subscriber base increased by 2.8 million year-on-year to 14 million, thanks to continued international growth and the group’s new distribution deals with Orange and Free. The international subscriber total grew by 309,000 year-on-year in the first half, contributing to a 6.6% increase in revenues in constant currency.Revenues from pay TV in France dropped by 5.3%, taken lower by the reduced free-to-air window on the Canal+_ channel and a drop in domestic subscriber revenues. Advertising revenue also fell, due in part to a sanction imposed by media watchdog the CSA on the C8 channel. Production outfit Studiocanal’s revenues also dropped year-on-year.Canal+’s EBITA for the first half amounted to €171 million, down from €288 million year-on-year, but with a stronger performance in the second half, which saw EBITA double compared with the first three months of the year.