A disabled campaigner who is battling to protect t

last_img

Picture by DPAC

first_imgPicture by DPAC Disabled activists were locked inside the Department for Work and Pensions’ headquarters by security guards as they delivered thousands of copies of a newspaper that feature “deliberately misleading” DWP adverts which “whitewash” the truth about universal credit.Protesters from Disabled People Against Cuts (DPAC) were unable to leave Caxton House in Westminster for several minutes yesterday (Wednesday) when security guards locked the building’s front doors behind them after they entered the main lobby.They had entered the building to deliver a letter to work and pensions secretary Amber Rudd, in which they asked her to explain why she had spent hundreds of thousands of pounds on an advertising campaign in the free Metro newspaper that features “one-sided adverts whitewashing the disastrous Universal Credit policy”.They also delivered about 10 boxes of copies of yesterday’s Metro (pictured), which features the latest Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) advertising feature on universal credit (UC), and which activists had removed from distribution points at train stations and on buses across the capital.Soon after their arrival, DWP security guards locked the front entrance and threatened to call the police, even though the action had been peaceful and focused only on delivering the newspapers and the letter to Rudd.The doors were eventually unlocked several minutes later after one of the activists had a panic attack.The letter to Rudd was finally accepted, and although DWP initially refused to accept the boxes of newspapers, they were later taken inside after being left outside the department’s front entrance.In the letter, DPAC and allies from Kilburn Unemployed Workers Group asked Rudd “why, when Universal Credit is causing so much suffering and distress, your department chose to throw money at this shameless exercise”.They added: “We hope that the enclosed materials will provide food for thought as you prepare your response to claimants staring into empty cupboards trying to work out how they can feed themselves and their children, and all those who are wondering why the taxes we pay for collective provision of services are being used in such an inappropriate attempt to rewrite the story of this disastrous policy.”Paula Peters, a member of DPAC’s national steering group, who took part in the action, said: “They are discrediting people’s real testimonies of going through universal credit.“I have been outside jobcentres and have spoken to claimants who have been driven to prostitution, destitution and homelessness by universal credit.”She added: “We will continue to expose their lies and total fabrications and we have to get the truth out there with thorough research and with people’s personal testimonies.”Yesterday’s action, including the hire of a van to deliver the newspapers, was paid for through a crowdfunding effort launched by Sheffield DPAC, which is set to pay for further such actions.As DPAC was delivering its copies of the Metro to DWP in London, disabled activists and allies in other parts of the country, including Sheffield and Bristol, posted photographs of copies of the Metro being removed from their distribution points, as part of the ongoing #DumpMetroDWPLies campaign.A spokesperson for Sheffield DPAC – which has played a significant role in the national campaign – said anger about the Metro adverts was growing, and she thanked those who had donated to the fund.She said the Metro adverts were “propaganda” and “a deliberate attempt to manipulate public perception” of universal credit.She said: “I implore people, whether they are claimants or not, to support the #DumpMetroDWPLies campaign against the DWP advertorials.“People have to be aware that once the government have done targeting us that they will move on to someone else.“We need to act, we need to stand up, we need to stop this, and we absolutely must do it together.”Meanwhile, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has confirmed that it is investigating the way the DWP advertising features have been published by the Metro.Disability News Service (DNS) confirmed last month that DWP breached Civil Service guidelines when it decided to launch the nine-week series of “unethical and misleading” Metro advertorials without including a government logo.And this week DNS passed a screen shot to ASA showing the home page of the Metro’s website, which featured several UC adverts designed to look like a newspaper investigation and which disguise their DWP origin.None of the adverts on the website mentioned they were designed and paid for by DWP, which appears to be a breach of ASA rules.Leaked DWP documents have revealed that the adverts were always designed to be misleading and not to “look or feel like DWP or UC”.An ASA spokesperson said: “We’re currently assessing a number of complaints relating to these ads, including complaints that challenge whether the ads are obviously identifiable as marketing communications.“We will establish whether there are grounds for further action in due course.”Meanwhile, the Disability Benefits Consortium of charities has written to ASA to complain about the “deliberately misleading” advertising features.The letter dismantles several of the claims made in the adverts, including the claim that it is a “myth” that “Universal Credit doesn’t work”, telling ASA: “These statements omit the thousands of claimants universal credit does not ‘work for’ but instead has driven them into debt, rent arrears, foodbanks, and homelessness.”A DWP spokesperson told DNS: “Our position is that all our advertising is factual and designed to increase understanding of Universal Credit.“We consulted the Advertising Standards Authority prior to launching the partnership and have reflected their advice.“We’ve not got anything further to add.”On the DPAC action at Caxton House, she said: “You can understand that we’re in a government building, so a group of non-staff members quickly entering the building with large parcels is an obvious security concern.“Security dealt with the incident quickly and the activists were able to leave the parcels outside the front door, without the need for further action.”She had already declined to comment when asked what DWP planned to do with the thousands of Metros delivered to Rudd. A note from the editor:Please consider making a voluntary financial contribution to support the work of DNS and allow it to continue producing independent, carefully-researched news stories that focus on the lives and rights of disabled people and their user-led organisations. Please do not contribute if you cannot afford to do so, and please note that DNS is not a charity. It is run and owned by disabled journalist John Pring and has been from its launch in April 2009. Thank you for anything you can do to support the work of DNS…last_img read more

Sign up to LabourLists morning email for everythi

first_imgSign up to LabourList’s morning email for everything Labour, every weekday morning.Another night of Brexit votes, another significant defeat for Theresa May. Last night, Yvette Cooper moved the motion that its main signatory, Tory Caroline Spelman, had unsuccessfully tried to withdraw. The Prime Minister had tabled a ‘no deal’ motion, but it wasn’t the straightforward rejection that the Commons wanted to express, so the Spelman-turned-Cooper amendment passed against the wishes of the government. Chaotic scenes. Cabinet ministers defied the Tory whip to abstain, and their defiance was ignored in the clearest evidence yet of May being ‘in office but not in power’. (If you missed all the action, read this run-through of what happened, with vote results, lists of Labour rebels and Jeremy Corbyn’s response at the despatch box.)After trying to sneak through a ‘no deal’ motion that actually repeated her ‘my deal or no deal’ refrain, May is now attempting a similar trick with the Article 50 extension vote tonight. The Commons was appalled when Speaker Bercow revealed that the motion tabled by the government was not a clear-cut proposal for delaying Brexit, but a barely veiled threat. On the basis of MPs rejecting both May’s deal and no deal, the PM says at least a short extension will be sought, i.e. we’re definitely not leaving on 29th March. The motion goes on to explain that if MPs fail to agree a deal by Wednesday 20th, the extension length would be decided by the EU and possibly much longer. So unfolds what Olly Robbins said at that Parisian bar last month: ‘my deal or no deal’ has become ‘my deal or no Brexit’. That’s how she hopes to drive her deal through, with the votes of Brexiteers, at the third meaningful vote next week.What happens now? The ERG are split: Jacob Rees-Mogg is making positive noises; Steve Baker remained defiant in the chamber. As usual, a lot depends on the DUP. Will Labour Leave seat representatives be pushed into rebelling? How many? Too early to tell, but it’s true that they are highly uncomfortable with a long extension. Most of that group said they would only vote to delay Brexit tonight if it were short and for a specific reason (approving a deal with a different future relationship).The amendments selected are likely to be crucial today, as they were last night. There are the ones already on the order paper, including Labour’s official amendment, which doesn’t explicitly mention another referendum but simply requests “parliamentary time for this House to find a different approach”. Then there are the manuscript proposals being tabled before 10.30am, not yet on the order paper. An ‘indicative votes’ one is expected, as I said in the morning email yesterday, and this would offer MPs the chance to vote on all the possibilities, from a ‘people’s vote’ to Common Market 2.0. This is essentially the same as Labour’s official amendment, but has a good chance of passing when set out under the names of Hilary Benn, Yvette Cooper and Oliver Letwin rather than the leader of the opposition.Voting today starts earlier, from 5pm. Make sure you have parliamentlive.tv and LabourList ready…Sign up to LabourList’s morning email for everything Labour, every weekday morning.Tags:Labour /Brexit /Indicative votes /last_img read more

Prop 10 Californians like rent control hate ballot measure that would expand

last_img

Pipe bursts overnight at St Lukes Hospital inundating building

last_img

DOWN your first choice number one… and then your h

first_imgDOWN your first choice number one… and then your half back… most sides would have crumbled but Saints took on the Champions and were within seconds of pulling off a memorable win.It was a day when the youngsters came of age with Tommy Makinson filling in for Paul Wellens at full back and heroes across the field.But sadly, it just wasn’t enough on the day as Wigan ran out 28-24 winners.After the match, Royce Simmons paid tribute to his side.“It was a tremendous effort to get to 10-0 particularly after we made a few mistakes in the opening stages,” he said. “We got caught up in the emotion of the game and pushed a few passes, but then we played a great period of around 30 minutes and I was more than happy with that.“But when you lose your full back and half back – two of your crucial players – then it not only affects your performance but also your interchanges. We lost two there and we couldn’t spell the forwards on a hot day as we would have liked.“We tried to get through it, but lost our way and Wigan took advantage. Then we got organised again and clawed our way back, but fatigue set in and that told in the end.“Perhaps if we would have had four interchanges at the end instead of two, we get the points, but it was a courageous effort.”He continued: “I don’t want to comment on the Wheeler tackle. The league will look at that. Wheeler told me he kicked and had time to look up, but the league has a good procedure and I’m sure they will handle that.“He has done his AC joint and will be out for a long time. That’s our third half out now so Jonny [Lomax] will certainly get a good run out this weekend!“Wello had a needle before the game on his ankle, like a few players, but that didn’t work. He won’t be around for a couple of days and there could be a few around him.“There’s a few lads that were in the 20s getting a surprise tomorrow!“It was a great game of football in afull stadium with the fans really into it… it’s better than laying 2000 bricks isn’t it? Rugby League was the winner today but Saints didn’t get a point.”Simmons also revealed that Kyle Eastmond was considered for the Easter fixtures but hasn’t been able to train because of a serious chest infection.“We did some kick and catching with him on Monday and the doctor came in and said he should be in hospital. We did some tests and thankfully he hasn’t got pneumonia. We tried to give him a hard 10 minutes today so see if we could get him out come the Castleford game, but we couldn’t get ten off him on the treadmill, so he won’t be available.”last_img read more

ITS been a tough preseason for Kyle Amor but he

first_imgIT’S been a tough pre-season for Kyle Amor but he says he wouldn’t have it any other way.The big prop, alongside his teammates, has been put through the ringer in the Lake District at the Cassius Camp and last week spent time with the Marines at 42 Commando in Plymouth.“It’s been brutal,” he explains. “We’ve done things we haven’t done before but it has been good. We had to carry our teammates on our backs up a big hill and complete an intense obstacle course. Everyone has dug in, helped each other and it has been great for team building.“Getting that togetherness going is important because you will need it when it gets tough in games. You learn a lot in pre-season and we have had to work hard for each other.“Matty Daniels, our head of Strength and Conditioning, never seems to fail us. Every year something is different – and normally harder! It’s been fun but tough and challenging.“And that is what we want as players ahead of the new season.”Saints pre-season campaign will see them host Dewsbury (Jan 17) and Widnes (Jan 24) before they open Super League XXI at home to Huddersfield on February 5.Tickets for the pre-season clashes are now on sale as well as Memberships for the 2016 season.last_img read more

Protesters gather at George Davis statue Saturday afternoon

last_img

Updated Alan Kurdi crew member in Medevac as 27 NGOs press for

first_img SharePrint <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a> A crew member of the ship carrying migrants, the Alan Kurdi, has been evacuated for medical reasons. The medevac took place at about 21:00h. News book.com.mt is informed that the ship’s engineer was taken to Mater Dei Hospital. This was also confirmed by a spokesperson for the AFM.Meanwhile, 27 NGOs have publicly signed a petition to government calling for permission for these people to find shelter in Malta. They said that MAlta should put humanity above all else and Libya can certainly not be considered a safe haven, particularly with the resurgence of hostilities. MAlta, insisted the NGOs can do much better.French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner has said that he had spoken with his Maltese counterpart Minister for Home Affairs and National Security Michael Farrugia about 64 migrants, including 12 women and a baby, picked up off the Libyan coast on the 3rd April and stranded on a rescue ship, operated by the German charity Sea-Eye.Je me suis entretenu avec mon homologue maltais @dr_micfarr.Je lui ai confirmé que la France, comme l’Allemagne et plusieurs autres partenaires européens, sera solidaire pour l’accueil de réfugiés présents à bord de l’#AlanKurdi, afin de permettre leur débarquement à La Valette.— Christophe Castaner (@CCastaner) April 12, 2019He said France and other EU nations would take the migrants stranded on the ship off Malta which has refused to let them disembark unless other countries help.Earlier today, 27 NGOs, including the Commission for Justice and Peace within the Archdiocese of Malta had called on the government to allow them to enter Malta.It has been 10 days since the Sea Eye-operated rescue vessel ‘Alan Kurdi’ has been unable to be granted a safe port in Italy or in Malta for 64 people still on board.In the time being, two medical evacuations have taken place along with a resupply vessel providing food, water and clothing to the men, women and children.Malta’s ambassador to Italy Vanessa Frazier today told an Italian news show that the situation would ‘be resolved in the next hours or tomorrow.’ However, after contacting the European Commission, Newsbook.com.mt was informed that ‘intense contacts initiated last week are still on-going.’WhatsApplast_img read more

No social justice and equality without legal justice – PD

first_img <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a> SharePrint Partit DemokratikuPartit Demokratiku Partit Demokratiku said one cannot have social justice and equality without legal justice in a statement on International Workers’ Day.In a press conference in front of the parliamentary building which was addressed by party leader, MP and MEP candidate Godfrey Farrugia, MEP candidate and Secretary General Martin Cauchi Inglott and MP Marlene Farrugia.MP Marlene Farrugia said that the PD is celebrating Workers’ Day by “fostering an environment where politics returns to its roots, and where politicians are held accountable for abuses of the system”.Addressing the press conference, Godfrey Farrugia stated that the ‘building blocks for prosperity and progress are humanity dignity, freedom equality and justice’ saying that one could not have social justice and equality without legal justice.The Party described the political system in Malta as ‘dysfunctional’ which has exploited the workers, saying that families are being destablised in order to have a liveable wage to make ends meet.Cauchi Inglott said that the citizens’ rights and freedoms are dependent on a solid and credible rule of law structure, and urged for a constitutional reform.WhatsApplast_img read more