New South Wales will meet Queensland across 13 divisions when the 2012 State of Origin Series is contested in Port Macquarie in September. Teams from Under 20’s Boys and Girls through to Men’s 50’s will battle it out at Port Macquarie’s Regional Sports Stadium on Friday, 21 September and Saturday, 22 September in three games. The State of Origin Series will be run in conjunction with the 2012 X-Blades National Youth Championships, which will run from Wednesday, 19 September through to Saturday, 22 September. Stay tuned to the State of Origin Series website for all of the latest news and information in the lead up to and during the 2012 State of Origin Series – www.soo.myclub.mytouchfooty.com. Keep in touch with the New South Wales Touch Association in the following ways:Facebook – www.facebook.com/nswtouch Twitter – www.twitter.com/nsw_touch Website – www.nswtouch.com.au Keep in touch with the Queensland Touch Association in the following ways:Facebook – www.facebook.com/queenslandtouch#!/pages/Queensland-Touch-Association/186547374757440 Twitter – www.twitter.com/QueenslandTouch Website – www.qldtouch.com.au Keep in touch with Touch Football Australia in the following ways:Facebook – www.facebook.com/touchfootballaustraliaTwitter – www.twitter.com/touchfootyaus (#SOO2012)YouTube – www.youtube.com/touchfootballausWebsite – www.austouch.com.auRelated LinksState of Origin
Huddersfield set to sign Crystal Palace winger Puncheonby Ansser Sadiq10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveHuddersfield are set to sign Jason Puncheon from Crystal Palace.The winger will be on loan at David Wanger’s team for the rest of the season.The 32-year-old has not played much at Palace this season.But he has the type of experience that Wagner wants in his team, as Huddersfield look to stay in the top flight.Since Palace are also involved in that fight, it is a surprise they let Puncheon leave to a rival.The winger has not started a Premier League game this season. TagsTransfersAbout the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say
TORONTO – The case of a nurse who murdered eight seniors in long-term care homes in Ontario will be examined in a public inquiry.The Ontario government announced Monday it is moving to appoint a commissioner to lead a public inquiry into the circumstances of the deaths.Elizabeth Wettlaufer pleaded guilty last month to eight counts of first-degree murder, four counts of attempted murder and two counts of aggravated assault. She was sentenced Monday to life in prison with no eligibility for parole for 25 years.Health Minister Eric Hoskins and Attorney General Yasir Naqvi offered condolences on behalf of the provincial government to Wettlaufer’s victims.The ministers say they want to assure the public that, despite Wettlaufer’s crimes, the 78,000 residents of Ontario’s publicly funded long-term care homes are safe.At the same time, they said the inquiry process is meant to answer questions so the government can ensure a similar tragedy does not happen again.The Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario applauded the government’s announcement Monday, saying it had been demanding an inquiry into the case since Wettlaufer pleaded guilty earlier this month.“During this immensely difficult time, I commend the government for having the courage to put these events under the microscope,” said association CEO Doris Grinspun. “The inquiry will help us learn how this tragedy happened, and see if there were any cracks in the system we can address to prevent this from happening ever again.”Advocacy groups CARP and the Advocacy Centre for the Elderly said the Wettlaufer case has “severely shaken” people’s confidence in long-term care homes in Ontario.“We eagerly await the terms of the inquiry to ensure that its scope is sufficient to address the actions, responsibilities and duties of the many institutions and individuals who failed to prevent or put a timely stop to Wettlaufer’s crimes …” the two groups said in a statement.“This is a critical first step to restoring trust in our long-term health-care system.”The government is finalizing the details of the inquiry and will make them available to the public once they have been approved by cabinet.
APTN InFocusThis week on InFocus, Host Melissa Ridgen takes a closer look at what we’re teaching our kids in school.Are children — Indigenous and non-Indigenous — getting enough Indigenous content in the classroom?Myra Laramee is the elder and knowledge keeper for the Winnipeg School Division. She’s also a retired teacher.“People are trying to take what we’ve always had as Indigenous people and show others what that looks like, what that sounds like, what that feels like,” said Laramee, who believes what is being taught has improved greatly since she started teaching in the 1970s.“(Teachers) are taking young people to sweat lodges that have never been before. And not just Indigenous kids, but all kids who want to go and want to learn about that. I know that in our school division Indigenous Learning is for everyone.”Kevin Kakegamic, Indigenous Outreach Co-ordinator at Thunder Bay Catholic School Division, said his division is working hard to bring Indigenous teachings to students and build bridges between Indigenous and non-Indigenous students“Last year we started with a program called Walking the Path…an 11-module program that specially offers teachings on important topics such as the history of residential school,” he said.“Another module is on reconciliation, the seven Grandfather teachings, the medicine wheel.”The program is being delivered to Grade 6 students at two schools and pairs kids to work on modules together. It will be in several more schools in the new year.“The feedback I get from the teachers and the students and also other staff from the board really think that this is a good program,” Kakegamic said.“It gets the weekly 75-minute engagement learning about the program. And also, too, it’s nice to see the non-Indigenous students getting really interested and engaged too and learning about the culture.”
New Delhi: A member of the banned terrorist group and an associate of Jarnail Singh Bhinderwale, who was killed by the Indian Army in ‘Operation Blue Star’ in 1984 was nabbed by the Delhi police, officials said on Wednesday. The accused Gursewak Singh (53), is a member of Khalistan Commando Force (KCF) and was planning to re-constitute his organization on directions of KCF chief Paramjeet Singh Panjwad, who was based in Pakistan, police said. Also Read – Bangla Sahib Gurudwara bans use of all types of plastic items Singh was also in touch with Jagtaar Singh Hawara and other terrorists lodged in various jails in India including Tihar jail, police said adding Gursewak was arrested by the crime branch from ISBT Delhi on March 12 where he had come to meet one of his contacts. Gursewak was previously involved in more than 50 cases of terrorist activities, murders of police officials and informers, robberies in banks and police station among others, said Ajit Kumar Singla, Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime). Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder He remained in jail for more than 26 years in different cases and was in regular touch with some Pakistan based terrorists. Police said Singh was born in a farmer family residing in Raikot village in Punjab’s Ludhiana district. His elder brother Swaran Singh was a member of terrorist group led by Bhinderwale in Punjab in 1980s. Gursewak also joined the group in 1982, the police official said. In 1984, when Binderwale was killed, most of his associates fled to Pakistan where they were trained and supported by ISI. During that time, Gursewak joined the newly formed KCF constituted by terrorist Manveer Singh Chehdu and actively participated in anti national activities, he said. Gursewak along with his associates remained involved in dozens of murders of suspected informers of Indian security agencies and bank robberies in Punjab, Delhi and Rajasthan. In May 1984, the accused along with his associates, Labh Singh, Gurinder Singh and Swaranjit Singh had also killed group editor of Hind Samachar newspaper Ramesh Chander in Jallandhar, Singla said. In 1986, Singh along with his associates attacked the residence of Julio Riberio, Ex-DGP Punjab in Jallandhar. In the same year, the accused along with his associates killed eight police personnel of Punjab Police while freeing the KCF Chief Jarnal Labh Singh and terrorists Gurinder Pal Singh Bhola and Swaranjit Singh from police custody in court complex in Jallandhar after a shootout, the officer said. The accused persons had also attacked on a police station in Punjab and robbed 16 rifles, six carbines, cartridges, two revolvers, police jeep and a Fiat car. The accused along with his associates had also killed all nine members of a family in Punjab, he said. Singh remained in jail and most of the time in High Risk Ward of Tihar Jail till 2004 for period of about 18 years. While at Tihar Jail, he planned to smuggle arms including AK-47 and explosives from Pakistan in order to carry out an attack in Delhi. However, this conspiracy of the accused persons was foiled by Crime Branch of Delhi Police, which arrested two terrorists from the area of Punjabi Bagh on July 9, 1998, the officer said. After coming out of jail in 2010, he remained involved in several cases of robbery and was arrested thrice by Ludhiana Police in 2014, 2015 and 2016 respectively. During this period, he remained in contact with Paramjeet Singh Panjwad. He was again arrested by Delhi Police in 2017 under the Arms Act. He is facing trial in a case in Patiala House Court and was not attending the court following which the court had issued non-bailable warrants against him, police said.
In their first Big Ten game of the season, the Ohio State Buckeyes answered the call.OSU (5-0, 1-0) took down Wisconsin (3-2, 1-1) 31-24, thanks in part to a huge game from quarterback Braxton Miller.In his first action since spraining the MCL in his left knee against San Diego State, the junior helped the Buckeyes get off to a fast start Saturday night. Following a punt by the Badgers on the opening drive of the game, Miller connected with junior wide receiver Evan Spencer on a 25-yard scoring strike that gave OSU the lead 7-0.“I think he (Miler) played very well,” OSU coach Urban Meyer said. “Braxton did have a heck of a day.”Wisconsin would respond, though, as redshirt-senior wide receiver Jared Abbrederis caught a 36-yard touchdown pass from Badger redshirt-sophomore quarterback Joel Stave.Miller completed his second touchdown pass of the night on OSU’s next drive, this one to junior wide receiver Devin Smith. The 26-yard reception was Smith’s fifth scoring grab of 2013.Following a 45-yard field goal from OSU’s senior kicker Drew Basil, Stave led the Badgers on a 76-yard scoring drive, finishing it with an 11-yard pass to junior tight end Sam Arneson to cut the lead to 17-14 with less than two minutes left until half.The OSU offense rushed down the field on the next drive, and Miller threw his third touchdown pass in the first half to senior wide receiver Corey “Philly” Brown, giving the Buckeyes a 24-14 lead at halftime.“I felt good,” Miller said after the game. “My legs felt good energy-wise. I wasn’t out of shape. I felt good.”After another Miller-Brown connection that extended the lead to 31-14, Wisconsin’s senior running back James White scampered 17 yards to get the Badgers within 10 points again.The two teams exchanged punts until Badger redshirt-junior kicker Kyle French made a 42-yard field goal.OSU recovered the ensuing onside kick, but were forced to punt after a three and out. Wisconsin’s last ditch effort fell short, though, and the Buckeyes ran out the clock to secure the seven-point victory.Miller finished the day 17-25 passing for 198 yards and four touchdowns. He also ran the ball 22 times for 83 yards.Abbrederis had a huge game for the Badgers, finishing with 10 catches for 207 yards and a touchdown.The game was not a total victory for OSU, as senior safety broke his left ankle on Wisconsin’s last drive of the game.The Buckeyes travel to Northwestern (4-0) next Saturday for their second night game in a row. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m.
OSU women’s volleyball players get set for a serve during a game against Penn State on Oct. 31, 2014. Credit: Lantern File PhotoSt. John Arena is set to host the Ohio State women’s volleyball team for the first time this season during the 10th Annual Sports Import D.C. Koehl Classic.The 22nd-ranked Buckeyes (2-1) are scheduled to play a doubleheader on Saturday, facing off against Northern Illinois (3-1) at noon and No. 14 Florida State (2-1) at 7 p.m., before playing the Seminoles again on Sunday at 7 p.m. OSU is coming off of a second-place finish at the Rumble in the Rockies tournament in Laramie, Wyoming. The Buckeyes fell to Wyoming in their opening game, but they bounced back to defeat both Butler and South Dakota in three sets.OSU coach Geoff Carlston said he’s happy with the way his team responded to the initial loss and is ready to be at home for the first time this season.“I’m excited for the team, especially our freshmen,” Carlston said. “We played in front of a huge crowd, actually, at Wyoming, but to play in front of a large crowd that’s your home and not at a mile high is going to be much better for us.”Setter Emily Ruetter, a senior transfer from Texas Tech, said she’s excited for her first home match in a Buckeyes uniform and thinks the home crowd will give the team a boost.“It’s so much better playing on your home floor,” Ruetter said. “Based off what I’ve heard, St. John brings in quite an awesome crowd, so it’s going to be even better having all of those people here.”Junior libero Valeria León, who, along with junior middle blocker Taylor Sandbothe, was named to the all-tournament squad at the Rumble in the Rockies, is focused on helping her team more moving forward.“I don’t really care about the individual awards, I just try to make my team better,” León said. “So I’m going to keep working on that.”Team adjustmentsAs the team heads into this weekend’s games, OSU has been working on improving its blocking, shot selection and overall consistency on defense, Carlston said.“I think (in) the Wyoming match, we just sort of forgot the things that we can do, and that will happen when you’ve got people in your face,” he said. The Buckeyes had 21 shots blocked by the Cowgirls in their season-opening match.Carlston said the team has to go back to what is worked on in practice for the upcoming matches and improve overall confidence, trust and consistency.Injury reportJunior outside hitter Kylie Randall did not play in any of last weekend’s matches as she works her way back after suffering a season-ending ankle injury last season and an elbow injury that she sustained in the team’s first practices this year.There’s no timetable for Randall’s return to games, but she is practicing and Carlston is pleased with her progress.“She’s back, full-go and she’s looking pretty good, actually, for a kid who’s played six times over the last (year),” he said.The rest of the team is feeling well from a health standpoint, Carlston said.Looking aheadFollowing this weekend’s action in Columbus, OSU is set to head back out on the road for the Blackbird Invitational in Brooklyn, New York, on Sept. 11 and 12.
Atletico Madrid full-back Juanfran hopes to renew his contract at the club that means the most to himThe former Real Madrid youth player has spent the last eight years with city rivals Atleti but will be out of contract at the end of this season.However, Juanfran remains a key member of the team and produced a great performance in their 1-0 La Liga win over Levante on Sunday.“Atleti are the club of my life, I would like to stay,” said Juanfran, according to Marca.“My hope is that the club renews me and that they still see me as a valuable player, who can put in a level of performance adequate of the team and our coach.Match Preview: Barcelona vs Valencia Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Is derby time in La Liga, as Barcelona welcomes Valencia to the Camp Nou Stadium tonight at 21:00 (CET).“I will never create a problem here regardless if whether I leave in the summer or in future years, this club will always mean the world to me.“I hope to do whatever the best thing is for the club and I am sure that Diego Godin and Filipe Luis will do the same, they care about the club like this too.“The players are never the most important thing about Atleti but I believe my presence here can benefit the team going forward.”Juanfran has made 325 appearances for Diego Simeone’s side across all competitions.The 34-year-old’s time at the Spanish capital has seen him win La Liga, Copa del Rey, Supercopa de España, Europa League (2x) and UEFA Super Cup (2x).